Dental care is an important part of canine health, and when their is a dental issue it can become costly. Without brushing, plaque can build up, putting your dog at risk for bad breath, gum disease, and tooth decay. It can also cause painful infection. Severe infection can spread, causing life-threatening conditions. So it’s important to take the time to take care of your pets oral health.
Chews, water additives, powders, oh my! There are a ton of items on the market targeted to help improve canine oral health. Because there are so many options it can be overwhelming to figure out what works and what doesn’t. I always recommend talking to you Veterinarian for any recommendations. One great way to also find products to help improve is by finding products that have been Veterinary Oral Health Council approved, these products have clinical studies done to test their effectiveness. You can go to their website to find all approved products for both canine and feline oral health products.
Here are some of my favorite dental products to use. Please note that these are not items to replace actual brushing!
- OraVet Dental Hygiene Chews. These are the only dental chews currently on the market that contain Delmopinol which creates a preventive barrier from buildup and bacteria. You can give to your dog once daily, it’s an easy way to improve their oral health. I like to give to Walter [pug] whenever I am heading out of the house for a bit that way he has a little treat to chew on while I am gone. It keeps him happy and distracted while also keeping his teeth nice and clean. (With any treats it is important that you give while supervised to ensure they don’t choke, these treats are easy for Walter to chew through and have had no issues while supervised which is why I feel comfortable giving to him unsupervised – This is very important for me to mention)
- Vetriscience Perio Support Dental Powder. This product is a power additive for your pups food. It was designed for use between veterinary cleanings to help maintain clean teeth and fresh breath. In their own clinical studies they have found to reduce prevalence of plaque by 20% and tartar by 18% in a double-blind testing of 20 dogs in 28 day. Just sprinkle over food and bon appetit! It’s that simple and a great way to help maintain healthy teeth.
- Carrots. For many it’s already in your fridge and they are a great and easy treat to give your pup that is good for their teeth. They won’t get rid of existing plaque but it will help scrape any food particles that may be lingering.
- Greenies Dental Treats. I know you see these everywhere! They are actually VOHC approved which means they are clinically tested. While these are not something that I always have in my house like the items listed above they are my go to if I happen to run out of the OraVet chews. They are convenient to grab in almost any store – so they made the list.
I made a post on my first one, I love it but in the end I was unsure about how long I would keep the subscription. So now I have my second one and wanted to share what it came with.
This time around I received 3 wool dryer balls, which is something that I’ve wanted to try for a while now. These replace the need for dryer sheets which are full of toxic chemicals that absorb into your clothes and body, have irritating fragrances, take years to breakdown in landfills, and I’ve also read that they can burn out the heater in your dryer from the wax that is on the dryer sheet. The attraction to wool dryer balls instead is that they naturally soften your clothes, reduce drying times, gels eliminates wrinkles, reduces status, has no chemicals, and can be scented with essential oils.
I’m going to be honest for the price of the subscription this box was not worth is, I could have easily spend the same amount of money for 6 balls instead of 3 on Amazon with great reviews. So I’m that sense I’m a little disappointed, however it got the product into my hands which I’m not sure how long it would have taken for me to get on my own. Because of that I will be giving in another try and excited to see what comes next.
Kind words are like honey—
sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. Proverbs 16:24
I am a spiritual person, I am by no means a religious person so I didn’t pick the tattoo to just stand for just a bible verse, however the verse is very meaningful to me.
Long gone are the years of my childhood where I would announce that I was the most beautiful girl in the world, my head has since been filled with words meant to degrade my self esteem. I am a loser, I am worthless, I would never do anything in life, I am stupid, I am a burden, no one will ever love me, no one will ever want to marry me, I am a failure, I can’t do anything right. Although I am grown now and recognize that I am none of those things it is a constant struggle to love myself. I am loved, I got married, I am educated, I opened my own very successful business but yet I still repeat all those words in my head. What you absorb while you are still young and impressionable stays with you.
After learning and growing from my experiences I strive to live with the words of proverbs 16:24 in my mind because your words are something you can’t take back, how you treat others can have a lasting impact on the rest of someone’s life, and it’s important to ‘bee’ kind.
My tattoo could easily also symbolize my mother’s maiden name so now after getting the tattoo my mom and both my sisters want the same one on them which makes this tattoo even more special. One day we will all have this tattoo forever connecting us and that is more precious than anything. It is my hope that the boys in my family could find something they could all match each other with in the future so that they may also have something that connects them, but no pressure.
I’ve always wanted a tattoo but my style and opinions have been constantly changing as I have been growing and progressing through life… and then there’s the over shadowing cloud of fear of feeling something I have never felt before along with the fear of needles and pain. Finally after being peer pressured by my brother enough times I caved in to facing my fears and anxieties holding me back from a tattoo head on.
Up until my appointment I googled countless of hours based off of fear for information on what the pain would be like and other’s experience trying to ease my mind. Because of that I decided it’s only fair that I share my experience so that other who feel the same as I did can have another perspective and another article to help ease anyone else’s mind who may need it .
The day of my tattoo I was an emotional mess! I felt like I was going to throw up, I couldn’t eat even though I know that I had to. The closer I got to my tattoo appointment time the more my stomach hurt. As soon as I walked into the tattoo shop most of my anxiety subsided. It helped that the shop was very clean, had beautiful interior decor, and my artist was the sweetest little thing and extremely personable. My artist was very quick, my tattoo took less than 30 mins – easy, breezy. She took very good care of me and I left her a big fat tip in return.
So what does it feel like? Did it hurt? Already the most asked question within the first 24 hours of getting my first tattoo. Yes it hurts, but it is not painful. Does that make any sense? For some part it was a sensation of hot scratches in my skin and I didn’t even cringe, in fact during those moments I was talking about how it wasn’t bad at all. Some areas was something very sharp being dragged across my skin, my toes curled a-little but it wasn’t unbearable. Overall when the experience was done I was embarrassed that I was so nervous that I failed to finish my lunch. I mean I was so nervous and hyped it up so much that I felt a constant urge to throw up… for nothing. If you were like me and get destined to never get a tattoo because you are afraid of the pain, don’t be. Let it be because you aren’t interested in one or don’t have anything you like enough to have permanently on your body because when it comes to the pain it’s not what you are hyping it up to be.
Any advice? Make sure that you force yourself to eat before hand, bring a granola bar or crackers with you if you are unable to eat incase your blood sugar drops so you don’t faint, and take a deep breath. All this anxiety you are feeling is not worth it compared to how it feels. You can do it.
Would I get more? Coming from someone who was so scared for their first tattoo, afraid of needles, and with not a high pain tolerance – Yes, I wouldn’t get another tattoo if it was that painful of an experience and I already have some new ideas in the works. Sorry mom.
Recently started to foster at my local shelter, and it is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. I wanted to make a blog post about it and share my first experience for anyone who is thinking about fostering. Fostering is a great volunteer opportunity and a great way to experience having a pet without the commitment. I think anyone looking to bring a dog into their home should foster first just so they can get an idea of what kind of commitment they are getting into.
Typically when you foster, the shelter will provide you with food if you need it, they will let you borrow dog bed, bowls, I mean they really do what they can to help you because ultimately you are helping them greatly by fostering for them. All shelters will take care of all the vet care and some will even provide someone to transport the pup back and forth from vet care if needed. Of course you would want to talk to the shelter to see exactly what they help with and what you will need to do or provide for the pup besides a loving environment.
I recommend buying toys on sale before you plan on fostering. If you already have a spoiled pup like I do, then you have no shortage of toys in your home so this may not be an issue. If you do not have a dog you are going to want to keep an eye out on sales to pick up a few, then when you are not foster put it in a box in your closet until you need it again. If you are fostering a puppy teething toys are a must, if they don’t have something to chew on then they will chew whatever they can find, aka your furniture or for Daphne it was a pillow.
Meet my first foster – Daphne, a gorgeous white and black lab mix. The happiest and most polite puppy I have ever met. She impressed me with how quick she was able to be house trained, the first 2 days she went without one accident in the house, was already holding it in through the night. on the 3rd day as soon as i finished complimenting her on how well she has been with no accidents she of course had an accident, but she was jinxed so I don’t hold it against her. I love the way she would politely put her front paws on my your lap for a little attention. She would even use her paws to have you put your phone down if you got distracted! We spent the last night with her in a big spooning session consisting of Daphne, Walter [pug], my husband, and I. She was definitely over all such a special pup and I was so blessed to be able to foster her. Better yet, I was able to find her a home with one of our friends so she is not far and always available to visit which is a huge win!
I have had the pleasure of fostering a bottle kitten shortly after fostering Daphne which I will be posting more information on in another post in the future.
Over the past year I have become more aware on the impact that we have on our planet and it was been weighing on my heart. I have slowly been making small changes in order to live a more environmentally friendly lifestyle. There are many changes that I have accomplished so far within the year and I am so proud of the progress that I have made in making better choice in order to protect our planet for generations to come. Recently I stumbled upon an add for one of those monthly subscription boxes that introduces you to eco friendly products and it caught my eye immediately. They had a discount code advertised so I decided to give it a try, what better way to continue my efforts.
What I received from them was a beautiful and very high quality reusable sandwich bag set! There is so much waste created with single use plastic bags and I love being able a reusable alternative to have a replace hundreds of plastic single use bag within my home. I am in love with it and already putting it into use.
I’m not sure if I am completely committed to this subscription quite yet but I love what the company stands for and their efforts in creating a more eco friendly word by making an easy way to introduce other to making small changes and I am excited to see what comes next.
Crystals that I like to keep in my living room! My living room is the heart and soul of my house. It’s where everyone spends the most time, where company hangs out, where my husband and I wind down at the end of the day. So it’s important to me to do little things to bring life and positive energy to my home, especially the living room. Here are the crystals that I keep in my living room and a small little description of the healing properties associated.
Amethyst – purifies the mind, reduce stress and anxiety, among a lot of other healing properties. This is one of the crystals that if you have to only pick one this should be it, because there is just so much associated with it.
Quartz geode – Geodes are believed to radiate the energy of quartz in all directions. Quartz encourages clarity of thought and purpose to one’s heart and mind.
Black tourmaline – protects against negative energy.
Selenite – shields a person or space from outside influences, calms and soothes, strengthens memory
Rose quartz – promotes love, self-love, friendship, deep inner healing and feelings of peace.
Fluorite – promotes harmony and balance, increases concentration, self-confidence and decision-making
I know I have a few family member and friend who will make fun and call me crazy because of this, and that’s fine. Luckily I have a few crystals to help protect from that kind of energy ☺ Do what makes you feel good!
You can read more on the healing properties of these stones and others on many wonderful websites.
As mentioned in my blog post of Walter’s puppy must haves, one of the 4 all time must haves for Walter was a puppy ‘diaper bag’ which was really just a dog travel bag which I had purchased on Amazon.
This travel bag as become a big necessity since the day we got it. I am that person who brings their dog anywhere they can. I find that socialization is extremely important for a dog’s mental health and overall happiness because who doesn’t love getting out of the house and experiencing new things. There is nothing more magical than how happy Walter gets when we are out on an adventure and because of that I will always take him with me where he is allowed.
With that being said here is what I pack into Walter’s ‘Diaper Bag’:
- Pee pads – this is important when going to someone else’s house or dog friendly hotel although we are continually improving on our potty training, accidents happen. I would rather put a pee pad aside for Walter so that he has a place where it is okay to go potty when he can’t go outside or has an accident rather than to put him in a position where he needs to be put into time out. It’s about setting him up for success in all situations.
- Toys – I like to pack at least one teething toy and one fun toy, that way he has his pick. If he needs something to chew on he has it, if he wants to attack something that squeaks then he can do that.
- Food – This is a no brainier! I have an empty pasta sauce container that I cleaned and reuse as travel food storage. The travel bag we bought on Amazon already comes with 2 collapsible silicone bowls for food an water, so all I need to worry about it the actual food.
- Treats – I like to bring 2 different options something small and easy to give him as a reward and something fun to give him as a treat to spoil him with.
- Weather items – This would include a sweater or jacket if it’s cold and snow shoes if there are salts on the sidewalks to protect his paws.
- Any necessary medications – The only medications that Walter received is his flea/tick prevention and heart worm prevention and those items depend on the time of month if it’s needed to be packed. If he were to need any other medication for some reason, that would also be packed.
- Light blanket – This is more of a comfort item, something he can cuddle in that is his and familiar. Plus he loves blankets, it’s one if his favorite things!
With each passing birthday, skin care has become increasingly more important. Here are a few of my top favorite skin care items all of which can be found at Sephora.
- Peter Thomas Roth Anti-aging cleansing gel – this is an easy way to add anti-aging products intro your skin care routine without even trying hard. It’s always the a recommendation a for anyone who is just starting out.
- AmorePacific essential cream fluid – This is a holy grail item for me, it has completely transformed my skin with the first couple uses. It comes a quite the cost but the results are unbelievable!
- Peter Thomas Roth retinol fusion pm – I use this product every night, it’s a great anti-aging item and it also has helped my get rid of a few stubborn pimples (although it is not advertised to do that)
- Tara Harper resurfacing mask – another holy grail! This product gives results instantly for soft, glowing, clearer skin! I like to use this once a week.
- Boscia cactus water moisturizer – A moistuizer that glides effortlessly on your skin. It’s consistency was a little weird for me at first but now this is one of my favorite moisturizers.
- Peter Thomas Roth cucumber de-tox hydra-gel eye patches – these are great to help give some care to the under eye area. I like to use it while I have a mask on the rest of my face, once a week. Sometimes I will even use it while applying eye shadow to catch fallout while treating my skin.
Comment below some of your favorite skin care items!
Of course there are the necessities such as food and water bowls, a leash, harness, dog toys, dog food, and dog treats but there are a few items that are considered a ‘must have’ in the life of Walter.
Teething toys and lots of them! Puppy’s will chew on anything when it comes to teething. I mean everything; furniture, wall corners, shoes, your hands, your feet, the remote, and anything else that they can find. It’s important to have something to help them alleviate their discomfort that is safe for them. There are a lot of options for dog teething toys I personally love the Kong, they are great for teething but it’s also great to use to occupy Walter for a bit by filling the center with peanut butter and then freezing it overnight! However, Walter’s favorite is a key ring teething toy that I had gotten for him while on our 1st Petco trip together.
2 dog beds! Yes I need 2 of them for just one puppy. I have one downstairs where he spends more of this time, and one in the bedroom for bed time. Now Walter actually sleeps in bed with us (was not our initial plan, the first week we had tried to have him sleep exclusively in his bed but that clearly did not stick) but when hanging out upstairs he does like having a bed to chill out on and supervise what ever I am doing. Not all dogs use dog beds, I know my pug growing up preferred to just plop down on the floor rather than using a dog bed, but I love that Walter enjoys using his beds.
A dedicated blanket. I know what you’re thinking, 2 beds and his own blanket – if you’re not a dog lover then I probably sounds crazy. Well it is a must have for Walter. He loves blankets, as a puppy he would try and pull the blanket off the couch so he can have one. Now that he is 5 months he is more then successful in stealing blankets, so yes he has his own (he has 2 actually). It doesn’t stop him from trying to steal our blankets but at least every can have their own blanket to use during TV time. (yes, he watches TV with us and he loves it)
A doggie ‘diaper’ bag. We always refer it to a diaper bag, but it’s really a travel bag for dogs that we got off amazon. It is very important to me to keep Walter well socialized, I know he’s a pug and pug are very lovable, easy going dogs so socialization shouldn’t be a huge concern. However, I feel that socialization is important for the well being and mental health of any dog breed. Anywhere that we can take Walter, you bet he’s coming with us. Because of this I needed something to carry his things with me other than a plastic bag where everything will end up rolling all over my car floor during travel.
I had received Nature Box’s cold pressed avocado oil body wash via Influenster which is a company that gives out products complementary in exchange for an honest review. I was particularly excited to try this body wash due to it being a vegan product as well as free of sulfates, parabens, silicones, and artificial colorants. I love the packaging for the product, it’s simple yet chic. I adore that the company encourages consumer recycling as well as supports farmers in sustainably cultivating raw materials.
This body wash lathers nicely, leaves no residue on the skin, it’s moisturizing, and cleans as a body wash should. The scent is very light yet fresh. It doesn’t smell in any way like an avocado but I do get a very earthy, floral scent from this which I fell suits it well. It doesn’t leave a smell on your skin afterwards, if there is a scent lingering it is a very soft and unnoticeable which is great as it won’t interfere with any scented moisturizers or perfumes you may decided to use, if any.
No where on the body does it directly say that it is a natural product but the name of the brand is called ‘Nature Box’ so it does create the idea of it being a natural product. When someone thinks natural product they think safe ingredients so I would like to point out that there are some ingredients in this product that can be concerning for some. These ingredient include Sodium benzoate which is able to destroy parts of DNA and presents a cancer risk when combined with ascorbic acid. As well as PEG’s (PEG-7 & PEG-40) although considered safe with further research you may find that they do present a contamination risk of Ethylene Oxide as well as 1,4-Dioxane which have been linked to cancer. I do recommend doing your own research if you are concerned about the ingredients.
Overall this is a nice product and I would recommend as it does exactly what a body wash should, it looks gorgeous in my shower, and I love the culture of the company. The only exceptions to my recommendation would be to those who are truly concerned with product ingredients.
If you are interested in also receiving free products in exchange for your review you can click here!