In honor of plastic free July I would like to share my favorite products to achieve zero waste in the laundry room.
First product I would like to tackle is laundry detergent. Laundry detergent is such a great first switch to make once got run out of your current container. For most detergent brands the packaging is plastic with usual toxic ingredients that are not the greatest nor hypoallergenic. My current favorite laundry detergent is Tru Earth laundry strips. Simply tear a strip, put in your dirty clothes, and wash as usual. They are hypoallergenic, vegan, eco friendly, plastic free, and free of the harmful chemicals usually found in traditional detergent.
Everyone already knows about using wool dryer balls in place of those toxic dryer sheets – you don’t need me to say it. But do you know the benefits of making this switch? First of course by using dryer balls you ditch the harmful chemicals used on dryer sheets but it also reduces drying time, saves energy, naturally softens, and eliminates static.
Detergent and dryer sheets may be the main components as far as swaps go, however here are a few other great things to consider:
- Use cold water instead of hot to save energy
- Do full loads when doing laundry
- Air dry when possible – In fact some clothing directs to air dry, so it it said air dry then air dry.
- Keep lint trap clean. Not only is it a fire hazard but it decreases the efficiency of your dryer
- Updating your wardrobe? Try buying second hand
- Keep using the plastic hangers you may already have, but if you are looking to buy more search for a bamboo or non plastic hanger.